Saturday, March 13, 2010

Farmers Markets!

There are many reasons to celebrate the return of spring, longer days, warmer weather, but one of the reasons I celebrate is the return of fresh produce from local farms heralded by the restart of local farmers markets. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a Chilean peach as much as anyone, and you don't have much of a choice if you want a peach in the middle of February. But no amount of industrial farming and careful handling techniques can rival produce purchased and eaten on the same day it was picked.

Because I found the farmers markets around Cedar Rapids to be a bit confusing (seriously, the downtown farmers market has three different location depending on what day it is on, and don't even get me started about how stupid it is to move the Saturday market around,) I had to create a Google calendar.

Take a look at the calendar, and if you think it might be useful, add it to the list of calendars you can view by clicking the little icon in the lower right-hand corner.

Note: I have never tried to share a calendar with an HTML address, so I don't know how it will work. Please give me feedback, the first farmers market is the Hiawatha market which starts at 11 am on April 4th.

1 comment: