Friday, March 6, 2009

Font junkies, move over

Recently I have started watching the AMC show Mad Men. I know, I'm only a year or two behind everyone. Having missed a lot of the buzz for this show, all I know is that everyone was amazed by it's historical accuracy.

The characters dress correctly for '62, they act correctly for '61 and most importantly, they smoke the type and quantity of cigarettes correct for '62. In fact, the only historical criticism I can find about the show is the font used for the closing titles.

I only made it a few minutes into the first episode before I was hit by the amazing realization, thousands of font junkies have been focused on what I think is a stupid inaccuracy, while missing a much more glaring one. Every space in the ad agency has been decorated using 2'x2' lay-in acoustical ceiling tiles (ACT). Look at this link again and notice the ceiling through the doorway.

Not only is a 2'x2' ACT system a fairly new design (they used to all be 2'x4', think about your elementary/middle/high school) but the use of ACT ceilings in such a space is questionable. Unfortunately my extensive research (read: googling) turned up nothing about the history of ACTs or their use. But the only buildings from that era I have seen ACT used in were buildings concerned about costs (once again, mainly schools,) and I can't imagine a powerful Madison Avenue ad agency being concerned about the construction costs of their office.

I'm sure if you're a font junkie you'll think that my fascination with the ceiling tiles is as stupid as I feel about your fascination about fonts. But understand, while you spend a lot of time staring at fonts and fussing about fonts, I spend a lot of time staring at ceilings and fussing with ceiling layouts. So really, why could you blame me.

(This is my first post, so I appologize for the many gramatical errors contained within, one of the many reasons for starting a blog was so I could improve my writting. Bare with me and I might eventually produce something interesting and easy to read)

No comments:

Post a Comment